Hatteras Island is a perfect place to learn how to surf. The consistent swell throughout the year and the shape of the island create a variety of surfing conditions for people of all skill levels. The vast stretches of Cape Hatteras beaches promise that you can always find a nice surf break away from the crowds. Our lessons are held along the Cape Hatteras beaches in North Carolina in Avon, Buxton, Frisco, or Hatteras Village, depending on your skill level, tide and weather conditions.
Beginner Surf Lesson
Our beginner surf lesson starts with 15 minutes of theory and practice on the beach where we go over safety, paddling and standing up using practice drills. The water lessons start with taking the board into the water and paddling around until you feel comfortable managing the board. We’ll then progress towards catching those first waves using the techniques we practiced on the beach. Some students are able to stand up on the board in the first lesson while others catch waves on their knees or belly. Remember, everyone is different and surfing is all about having fun!
* Please wear a life jacket if you are not a strong swimmer or are fearful in the water. Please let us know and we will provide them, or you may bring your own.
Topics Included in the lesson:
- Water, wave, and board safety
- Rip currents
- Reading the waves
- Wave selection
- Paddling correctly
- Pop-up/standing up & foot placement on the board
- Surf stance, arm and torso positioning
- Dismounting or falling off the board safely
- Exiting the surf & shore break
The beginner surf beginner lesson fee includes 15 minutes of beach time and 45-55 minutes of water time.
Larger Group Rates Available, please contact us.